TR6 ignition switches

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 ignition switches
From: James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 14:16:08 -0500 (EST)
Lately, my ignition switch has started acting up.  The other day I
started it with some difficulty, figuring that was because it had gotten
cold the previous night.  I drove it about twenty meters, and it died on
me.  I cranked it for the longest time, figuring I'd flooded it.  After a
while I noticed that the blower wasn't working with the key in the run
position, but, when I grabbed the key that time, the blower came on.  So
I held the key in that position, and it started right up.  Since then,
the problem happened once again.
What is most likely the problem?  I haven't tried turning the switch
directly, except with the key, which didn't work, so I gave up before I
stripped the switch.  It seems odd that the starter would work, but the
ignition wouldn't, although I suppose, since they're on separate
circuits, they could go out separately.  It just seems like the starter
switch should go first, since it has a spring in it, but, then, the key
does often get turned roughly through the run position.
Is this probably something that can be easily fixed?  I don't really want
to have to replace the ignition switch.
Jim Ruwaldt
'72 TR6 CC79338U(being restored)
Bloomington, IN