O/D conversion - Spit

To: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: O/D conversion - Spit
From: "Eric C. Rupert" <eric@rpm.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 22:57:24 -0400
I have a '66 MKII and am looking to add O/D to the current 4 speed to get into
the "sweet spot" at highway speeds.  Currently, the car is really smooth and
comfortable at about an indicated 50mph and around 3K RPM.  I am running 165/70
13's and have yet to check the diameter against the 5.20X13's that were spec'd
for an adjustment to the calculation.  Anyway, based on the Road Speed data in
a Spitfire book that I have, the O/D would give me almost 60mph at similar RPM.
 At 70, the engine really sounds like it's screaming even though it's only
turning somewhere in the 4's.  Since I am still in the breakin from a recent
engine build, I haven't pushed farther yet to see where it tops out.

Can I add an O/D unit from a MKIII or MKIV?  Is this a monumental task?  Are
they difficult (read expensive) to purchase?

Thanks