Re: O/D conversion - Spit

To: "Eric C. Rupert" <eric@rpm.com>
Subject: Re: O/D conversion - Spit
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 11:27:52 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Eric C. Rupert wrote:

> I have a '66 MKII and am looking to add O/D to the current 4 speed to get
>into
> the "sweet spot" at highway speeds...

> Can I add an O/D unit from a MKIII or MKIV?  Is this a monumental task?  Are
> they difficult (read expensive) to purchase?

Monumental, no. Close, though! It's often as easy or easier to find a
complete tranny with OD. With that, hopefully you'd get the correct rear
frame mount, wiring, relays, switches, etc. -- all the little stuff you
need to do it properly.

There is an ad at the VTR Web site <www.vtr.org> for a Mk.2 OD unit ONLY.
With this and your transmission, you'd still need the longer mainshaft
for your gearbox, and all the other stuff noted above.

Meanwhile, the OD units themselves are largely the same through the Mk.IV,
right, gang?

Or you could install a complete OD transmission the way I once saw someone
do it on a 1500 Spitfire: use a hunk of 2x4 for a rear mount and thick
aluminum spacer blocks behind the engine mounts to push everything forward
enough to fit the original driveshaft, etc. Not a top-flight piece of
engineering, and most heartily NOT recommended!

--Andy