TR4 heater unit swap - and a gearbox question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (triumph cars list)
Subject: TR4 heater unit swap - and a gearbox question
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 11:06:12 +0100 (BST)
hi

Thought I'd tell you all of my struggles. I swapped out the heater unit
of my TR4 and replaced it with a rebuilt spare as the old one developed
a leak. My "new" unit was overhauled by my Father (thanks Dad) and
we substituted a Moss(UK) "uprated blower motor" (I'm afraid I dont have
a part number). If I had to find fault with my TR4 - or probably most
British cars of that era - I think I'd point to the demisting/heating
& wipers. The new motor pushes out a lot more air. I have improved the
sealing in the "closed" position (a metal flap that directs air to the vents,
or to your feet) plus I've put a little bit of sponge in the passenger demist
vent hose to ensure most of the air goes to the driver side. You can see I'm
serious about my demisting!

Anyhow, the point of this missive is to describe how I did it. In short,
its a rotten & tedious job with minimal access. The workshop manual advises
pulling the instrument panel, but I managed by removing the speedo, the radio
and disconnecting the oil pressure gauge. I dont have a glove box but that
needs to come out too. My car is right-hand drive.  The 3 top bolts have
captive nuts, the side one has a stud. As ever, you have to lie under the
dash & squint up. It took most of saturday & part of sunday to do it, things
being more trouble than usual due to the very hot weather & contrast between
the black depths of the under dash & the bright sky! I'd defy anyone to
do it significantly faster. A helper would be a real plus in locating/holding
the unit, its very awkward. You'll need a long socket extentension.

The bottom line is that it seems fine & no more mysterious puddles have
appeared in the footwells!

Ok - finally: a question. The gearbox occasionally jumps out of second
on overrun down a hill, any clues? The 'box seems happy enough & shifts
easily, no strange noises.

Regards, Adrian + TR4
                asj@fjcomp.com