Re: Electric Cooling Fans

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Electric Cooling Fans
From: jhdavis6@juno.com (James H. Davis, Jr.)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 03:32:17 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
OK Dan,
How much additional horsepower do you think is required to compensate
from the load placed on the alternator from running an electric fan? I
don't know if the 18 hp estimate is accurate; seems like that figure
would depend on engine RPM and vehicle speed among other variables, but
since a fan's real benefit is derived when the car is stationary, it
seems reasonable that a properly shrouded and sized electric fan in place
of the conventional fan would be more efficient at road speed.
I make these comments out of intuition, claiming no technical knowledge
whatsoever,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
'75 TR6  CF38690UO