Re: Spark plugs

To: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Spark plugs
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 08:56:51 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ken Streeter sez:
>I use Champion RN-9YC in my 70 TR6, and Champion RN-12YC in
>my 1974 TR6.  The RN12YC is a hotter plug.  From what I have
>been able to find in various literature, this is the factory-
>suggested configuration:
>
>  Champion N9Y  -- 1969-1972
>           N12Y -- 1973-1976

For quite a while, I've been chasing a problem with my car. The idle has
been lumpy, the engine won't rev easily past 4500 RPM, and the exhaust has
been sooty. I checked all the usual suspects and found nothing seriously
amiss. Then something from the past dawned on me: The plugs are too cold. I
checked the Bentley manual and found they called for N12Y for the early
cars and N9Y for later ones. I looked under the bonnet and found I'd put in
N9Y, what TRF had given me. After a quick trip to NAPA, the car runs great!
The hotter plugs made a huge difference. The puzzling thing about this is
the plug tips (on the N9Y's) were nice and clean when I pulled them out; no
soot.

Phil Barnes
peb3@cornell.edu
'71 TR6  CC61193L (20 year owner)