Spitfire Rear brake question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Rear brake question
From: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 12:40:22 -0400
I just replaced the shoes and drums on my 77ish Spitfire and have a couple
questions:

1. Even with the adjuster backed all the way out the new shoes seem to be
dragging somewhat - smell of hot brakes after driving. I had a fairly hard
time getting the drum back on. I backed off the spring mount on the
handbrake cables to loosen them as much as I could, this helped but they
still seem to drag a little. Should I be concerned? It seems that with
driving the extra bit of shoe will wear away and things will be fine. The
brake shoes are Beck-Arnley re-manufactured and the drums are from VB if
that makes a difference.

2. How freely should the brake cylinders be able to slide back and forth?
Mine do slide, but I would not call it freely by any stretch of the
imagination.

3. After new shoes and pads all around I still have just a touch of pull to
the right on initial application of the brakes. Once past that initial tug
it stops nice and straight. Any ideas?? Possibly related to my not-so-free
sliding rear cylinders?

All help much appreciated,

Kevin Rhodes

77 Spitfire (Stops pretty good ;-))
91 Volvo 245 (Stops a whole lot better ;-()