Silicone brake fluid

To: fmjm@cyou.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Silicone brake fluid
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 97 12:36:32 -0400
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     You wrote:
     Greetings fellow listers!
     I have a question for the TR3 owners on the list.  What type of brake
     fluid do you use?  I read the info on VTR Maintenance page regarding
     brake fluids, but would like to hear the experience of other TR3
     drivers.

     Thanks in advance.
     Franz Bachmann 1960 TR3  TS80195L
     Crestview, Florida

     Franz, FWIW:
     I met a fellow who has used the silicone type for five years with no
     ill effect. I asked about it being harder to bleed than the regular,
     as I had heard somewhere that there's lots of potential for small
     air bubbles to get in, but he said he had no problems like that at
     all. He said the brakes are as hard feeling as they ever were, and his
     wife testified that she didn't get to pump any more than usual when
     bleeding.
     The reason he so enthusiastically endorses the DOT5 is because it
     doesn't eat the paint. He has a beautifully restored TR3 with no
     evidence of rust beginning around the masters, and he assured me that
     he certainly has spilled brake fluid on occasion.
     The trick is to switch fluid when you're doing an overhaul of all the
     rubbers, so they start life with the silicone stuff - no mixing of
     fluids allowed!
     After this conversation with him I'm sold, since I'm going to spend
     $$$ on paint, and since I am redoing all the brake rubbers anyway.
     Regards,
     Jim Wallace
     60 TR3 TS81417