Re: 100,000 mile service

To: Ben@seiph.umds.ac.uk, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 100,000 mile service
From: "Jonathan Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 14:32:25
> Dear all,
>
> I, or rather the car, reached the magic zero miles last week predictably
>nearly coming off the road while we
> watched the five little drums rotate all at once. Ah little things...
>
> Anyway, not knowing fully the service history earlier than the last 10,000
>miles or so I have decided to carry out a
> full service. Here's what I intend to do:
>
> Change brake fluid, engine oil, rear axle oil, gear box oil, coolant, air
>filters, oil filter, spark plugs, points, distributor.
> Lubricate steering rack, water pump, wheel bearings and swivel joints,
>handbrake guides, cam spindle, carb
> dampers and controls, door parts.
> Check tyres, fan belt, carb balance, valve clearance (and decoke while I'm at
>it as it still overruns), timing, battery,
> alt charge, suspension, brake hoses, rad hoses, disks.
> clean fuel pump, clean everything else.
>
> I've done a few of those lately, but I've included them for completeness.
>
> Is there anything I have missed, or you feel is worth doing while I'm at it?
>(changing the steering rack bushes to
> nylon I've heard is worth doing) I would appreciate any advice.
>
> Ben
> '69 Herald 1200 with 1500 Dolomite engine

If you have a 1500 engine I'd change the main and big end bearing
shells while you're at it.  I say this only partly in jest; John
Kipping and others recommend changing them at 35,000 mile intervals.
This way the crank will go on and on.  Watch the oil pressure for
evidence of wear.

All the best,

Jonathan

'77 Spitfire 1500