Re : "Pushrod Pin Hole" Elongation Fixes..

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re : "Pushrod Pin Hole" Elongation Fixes..
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 06:42:50 -0700
>> Have the same problem in every Spitfire I've had.  The
>> problem I see is the hole in the pedal assy itself gets
>> elongated, not the holes in the actuating rod.
>
>Exactly!  Both parts wear (and need fixing on my TR6s).
>Have you actually performed the insertion of a steel
>bush?  Did it work?  How is it holding up?  How long
>has it been in use?
**********************
Ken,
Yes, I did it for my old 72' about 18 years ago, still in there today.
Looks and works as good as it did when I first installed it.  Did the same
thing to my GT6 when I restored it, and will do this to the project
Spitfire when I get around to it ( just finished welding the left rear wing
on last night, just a little more patch work and its on to sanding and
painting oh joy!!!)
I can't remember the exact dimensions, since it was so long ago, but I do
remember that at the time the wear was so sever that even with enlarging
the hole I couldn't completely remove the 'slot'.  It had almost worn
through the pedal assembly.  The advantage of the bushing, besides riding
in a much larger (more surface area, reduced loading) is that the bushing
can be made larger in width, actually as large as the opening in the fork,
minus a slight clearance.  This provides a much improved, larger, wear
resistant area for the pin to ride against.  I didn't weld or braze the
bushing into the pedal assembly, but instead allowed it to 'float', but I
would think that welding or brazing, or even epoxy would be just as effective.

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )