Re: TR3 Windshield removal

To: Nickbk@worldnet.att.net, JAMES_S_WALLACE@hp-canada-om1.om.hp.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 Windshield removal
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 10:09:49 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-08-12 04:50:00 EDT, Nickbk@worldnet.att.net (Nick)
writes:

<<  Can someone suggest a way to remove those four large slot-head
 screws
 >      that hold the windshield assembly on a TR3? One came out extremely
 >      reluctantly, and the rest want to have their slots ruined.
 >      I have ground a big screwdriver such that it just fits the slots,
 but
 >      they are so shallow that I can't get a good grip. Since the heads
 are
 >      somewhat recessed, I can't cut the grooves deeper. I also can't see
 >      way to get at the back side in order to apply penetrating oil.
 >      Is there perhaps a way to drill the heads off without wrecking the
 >      frame? And if I did, would I be able to get the windshield off
 anyway?

 >      TIA,
 >      Jim (all screws have Robertson heads) Wallace
 >      60 TR3 TS81417

 Jim-
 As far as I recall there are 2 types of fasteners, the Dzus type and a
 "regular" bolt style. One, or maybe both - I cannot recall, has a "dish"
 shape to the slot in the head, that is, it is deeper in the center than at
 the edges.  >>

I just inspected several old and new bolts and dzus fittings and while the
slots appear to be concave they are not.  It's an illusion created by the
shape of the head I guess.  (More illusions, eh Nick) The heads are identical
in appearance from all I could see.  Someone reported the bolt heads being
'ugly' ?
Yes, as Nick reports, you can gain access to the back of the bolts from the
top inside of the footwell.  You could probably even heat these bolts from
the inside with a torch.  I have one car which has had speaker holes cut into
the inner scuttle into footwell, allowing a hand to reach all the way up
there from the bottom.  It might be better to cut a hole inside rather than
damage the outside.    Remember there are also two bolts protruding into this
space which hold the bracket onto the scuttle.  These are screw heads which
will be revealed when you remove the windshield.

One tool you might add to your toolbox is a screwdriver with a square shaft.
 If you
put a wrench onto the square shaft and  'lean'  on the screwdriver pushing it
into the slot you can  sometimes remove reluctant slot head screws by turning
the screwdriver with the wrench.  You did the same thing  with the 2x4, the
wrench makes it a little easier.

WD 40, maybe heat and patience will out those screws!  I hope you can avoid
the cutting, it's too messy for me.
Bob Paul