Re: roll bar wisdom?

To: Erik Quackenbush <erik.quackenbush@scala.com>
Subject: Re: roll bar wisdom?
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 10:15:39 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Erik:
"I'm planning to add a roll bar to my 'new' TR-6 for safety reasons... A
couple of the big vendors offer roll bars that are for "appearance only".
Does anyone know if this statement is just to address liability concerns?"

As you suspect, the "appearance" clause is to get the manufacturer off the
hook. Realistically, just about anything you add will be an improvement,
unless the thing is made from exhaust tubing like the light bars on
pickups. Buying from a reputable outlet is the best way to go. Keep in mind
that the competition requirements for height are for a reason; you'd rather
your head didn't contact the pavement. As a veteran rally driver (5
rollovers so far), I'd  pay attention to padding and what the bar attaches
to. If the bar is directly behind your head, put a pad on it. (Think about
getting rear-ended.) Make sure the bar mounts to something solid and back
up the interior baseplates with plates of a similar size and thickness so
the floor doesn't tear out.

Phil Barnes
peb3@cornell.edu
'71 TR6  CC61193L (20 year owner)