Re: Battery Problems

To: Edward Hutchinson <seah@zorba.info.sunyit.edu>
Subject: Re: Battery Problems
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 10:51:26 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Edward Hutchinson wrote:

> I am having some problems with the battery in my TR6 - after
> starting the car several times during the day - at various
> intervals - the battery seems to die.

What do you mean by "seems to die" -- it won't start the
car?

> The guage on the dash indicates that it is charging
> when the engine in running. The battery takes a charge
> when I put the battery charger on it. I've tested each of
> the cells and they all check out good.

> Any thoughts?

Check your battery connections for corrosion.  I would
suggest removing the terminals, cleaning the battery posts
and battery clamps, and ensuring the ground strap is in
place.  You may have high resistance in this portion of
the electrical circuit, preventing the battery from
getting properly charged.

When you say the battery takes a charge, does it ever
get "fully charged?"  (There should be a light, meter,
or gauge on your battery charger that shows this.)  If
the battery is not getting fully charged on the
battery charger, something is wrong with the battery.

As mentioned in a previous post I made moments ago, the
ammeter in the TR6 should return to the center of the
scale when the battery is fully charged.  This should
happen within at least 20 minutes of driving at highway
speeds.  If this is not the case, but the ammeter
continues to read far to the (+) side of the scale, then
either the regulator is faulty, the battery is not holding
a charge (needing replacement), the battery cables are
corroded in their connections to the battery, or something
else that I can't think of is wrong!  :-( :-(

--ken
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com