Re: Battery Problems

To: Edward Hutchinson <seah@zorba.info.sunyit.edu>
Subject: Re: Battery Problems
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 00:10:31 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Edward Hutchinson wrote:

> I am having some problems with the battery in my TR6 - after starting
> the
> car several times during the day - at various intervals - the battery
> seems
> to die. The guage on the dash indicates that it is charging when the
> engine
> in running. The battery takes a charge when I put the battery charger
> on it.
> I've tested each of the cells and they all check out good.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Ed
>
> 74 TR6
Hey Ed,
How old is your battery?  If it is more than 3 years, it may just be
tired.  Even if you have a 5 year battery, they are not really designed
to last five years.  Battery manufacturers are take a calculated bet
that if you are replacing a battery, your vehicle is probably 3 years
old and you will probably be trading it or selling it in the next 2-3
years.  Just people like us that keep cars for decades are the ones they
lose money on.

As always this is JMO.
Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4