RE: Front Suspension Trunnion bolt

To: "'Alan.McEachran@anixter.com'" <Alan.McEachran@anixter.com>
Subject: RE: Front Suspension Trunnion bolt
From: "Nicholls, Clark" <cnicholl@lawson.epri.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 14:56:55 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Can't get the lower trunnion bolt out, eh?  Sounds like the
cut-the-bolt-from-both-sides solution, I've done it many times.  Check
the bolt holes in the lower A-arms for elongation.  You may need to
renew them at the same time.  Also the lower trunnion bushing hole
(through which your stuck bolt is passing) may be out of round
(elongated) also, requiring a new trunnion.  If this is the case, you
can save a lot of effort and just toss the lower a-arm and trunnion and
get replacements (if you can un-screw the trunnion from the upright with
the a-arm still there).  While you're at it check the upright to see if
it's bent, usually just before the threaded end.  Worst case you need
one of these also.

Remember, when you re-assemble the new trunnion bushing kit, coat the
bolt with never-seize so it won't happen next time (I use it on
everything I put back together)!

This same scenario happens on the rear axle bushings also (no, they
aren't rear trunnions).  Another favorite never-seize application.  I
don't want to go through that ever again, although it's never been on MY
car!

As for the metal blocks, they are an old trick to raise the car when the
springs sag.  You need new springs also...

Clark
--
Visit me at: http://members.aol.com/cwnicholls