Re: Cooling Fans and TR3s

To: "Perry T. Hammock" <phammock@ivy.tec.in.us>
Subject: Re: Cooling Fans and TR3s
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 13:56:49 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: "'Triumphs@autox.team.net'" <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Perry T. Hammock wrote:

> Love the thread - how about TR3 particulars.
> Can the fan be removed without affecting engine balance.  I once read
>about someone out east who made harmonic dampeners for 3s and such to
>balance at low engine speed especially.  Anyone tried this and have
>results?? Inquiring minds want to know.

        Yes, you can do it... The harmonic balancer I know about comes
        from British Frame & Engine (out west). the problem doesn't occur
        at low RPMs though... It's the RPMs above 5,000 that create the
        harmful vibes... I'm told harmful enough to break a crank (usually
        at the 4th journal). BTW if you plan to make the switch you will
        need to replace the pullies for both the generator, and water pump
        (the water pump pulley comes in the HB kit). If you want cheaper,
        I think someone on the list used a harmonic balancer from a Ford or
        some such and had it machined to fit.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois