RE: Cooling Fans and TR3s

To: phammock@ivy.tec.in.us
Subject: RE: Cooling Fans and TR3s
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 16:08:54 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Can the fan be removed without affecting engine balance.  I once read
>about someone out east who made harmonic dampeners for 3s and such to
>balance at low engine speed especially.  Anyone tried this and have
>results?? Inquiring minds want to know.

According to Ken Gallanders, noted TR3 authority, there are some nasty
harmonics at 5,300 or 5,800, I believe, which are far worse without the fan.
There are additional harmonics at other rpms, but not quite as bad as this
one.

My understanding is that you would be ok, without the fan, if the rpms
remained below the redline.  There is a harmonic balancer available, if you
plan on higher rpms.

All my knowledge is second hand, others can provide better info.  If you
don't get the info you need, let me know and I will try to obtain more
definitive info.

Jack Brooks
TS69032L

Jack Brooks