Spit brake shoes

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit brake shoes
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 23:02:42 GMT
Hi Kevin!

>1. Even with the adjuster backed all the way out the new shoes seem to be
>dragging somewhat - smell of hot brakes after driving. I had a fairly hard
>time getting the drum back on. I backed off the spring mount on the
>handbrake cables to loosen them as much as I could, this helped but they
>still seem to drag a little. Should I be concerned? It seems that with
>driving the extra bit of shoe will wear away and things will be fine. The
>brake shoes are Beck-Arnley re-manufactured and the drums are from VB if
>that makes a difference.

I installed a set of Beck-Arnley brake shoes last month and
experienced EXACTLY what you did.

Even after backing everything off they were so tight that the wheels
were red hot after a 10 minute test drive.  I swear I smelled the
paint burning off the rims. :-)  Strangely, the problem cleared itself
immediately and both wheels were fine thereafter.

Practical Classics made mention of this condition in Barry Cade's
section.  He claimed that re-manufactured brake shoes were often
intentionally oversize on the assumtion that the drums would be turned
oversize during the fitting.  His solution was to return the brake
shoes in exchange for OEM versions.

Do we have that option? :-)

Regards...Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spits