Re: relays

To: Vicky Graves <alecks@mscomm.com>
Subject: Re: relays
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 11:48:08 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Vicky (or was it John?) Graves wrote:

>     I have been experiencing a problem with dimming the headlights on my 74
> Spitfire 1500. All I have are brights. I checked for a dimmer relay per the
> Bentley & the Haynes. The former didn't show one & the later states that it
> is in the luggage compartment on left wheel arch. My car doesn't have one,
> that I can find. Please help! I am I in the process on preparing to ship
> her to the UK in Oct or Nov.

I might be wrong on this (and someone will quickly point it out if I am,
right, gang?), but I don't believe there is a headlamp relay on the '74
Spitfire. The relay mentioned to be found in the luggage compartment is
found only on models originally built for some European countries; it dims
the taillights when the headlights come on, if memory serves.

I suspect that there is either a wiring problem in your low-beam headlamp
circuit or a mechanical/electrical problem with the column dimmer switch,
possibly as simple as a broken unconnected wire (blue w/red tracer for
the low beam circuit).

Hope that helps a bit.

--Andy