Re: Swing Spring

To: "Dave H." <nowin4me@telis.org>
Subject: Re: Swing Spring
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 16:02:41 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Listers <british-cars@Autox.Team.Net>
On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Dave H. wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Well, the summers almost over and it's time to ask that question that is
> on everyones mind.
> How do you change the rear spring from a Herald to a swing spring from a
> Spit?
> The nuts and bolts I can probably figure out, but since the axels are
> different the U-Joints won't  line up.

Well, what's really different about the axles (apart from the fact that
1973 and later Spitfire axles are longer) is the U-joint flange. You could
easily exchange them for the flanges on the old axles; those will take the
same u-joint.

Alternatively you could just use the present Herald axles. Although the
increase in track might be beneficial with the newer axles, you might run
into clearance problems. I'm only guessing on that; I've never done this
to a Herald.

Don't forget to swap in that larger front sway bar from the Spitfire as
well.

> Also, I'm looking for shocks too. Preferably air adjustables for the rear
> and KYB's or such for the front. There was a posting not to long ago
> about using the shocks for a '66 Corvette, but I don't remember the
> particulars and I hope the poster, (or someone that used the advice)
> reads this.

For particulars, see <http://www.vtr.org/maintain/airshocks-spitfire.html>
for an excellent write-up by Charlie Brown on this topic.

That covers the rear. For the front, I'd go with either Koni or Spax. The
latter has the advantage of being externally adjustable without going
through the entire installation procedure each time.

--Andy