Re: Octane? Gears?

To: NewYorkie@aol.com
Subject: Re: Octane? Gears?
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 19:18:44 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
NewYorkie,

What's your compression ratio? If you have a stock engine, 7.5:1 C/R, you
can probably get away with running 87 octane. If you've got a lot of
carbon build-up in the combustion chamber, or the head's been shaved, C/R
goes up as does the need for higher octane. Once you get up to a 10:1 C/R
you probably need a 93 rating. Done any mods or, are you still stock?

If the car's been sitting for a long time, and the gear box works with
the engine off, but won't go into gear with the engine running, you've
probably got a clutch friction disk stuck to the flywheel. If that's the
case, here's what I've done in the past. Get the car into an area with a
lot room either in front or behind the car (50 feet should do). Let the
engine warm up in neutral. Turn the engine off and put the car into
either first or reverse, depending which direction has the running room.
Start the car in gear and the clutch depressed and hang on. There will be
some bucking but, the friction disk should free itself before you get to
the 50 foot mark =8O

Failing that, you've probably got a failure in the clutch hydraulics--air
in the system, leaking seals, or most embarassing, no fluid in the master
cylinder.

Good luck,
Charlie B.