Re: diff change tool?

To: Erik Quackenbush <erik.quackenbush@scala.com>
Subject: Re: diff change tool?
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 22:44:41 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Erik Quackenbush wrote:

> I'm thinking about putting in a Quaife differential. The shop manual shows
> a special tool for spreading the casing to removing the diff. Anyone know
> of a similar modern tool or a good way to fabricate a substitute? Anyone
> actually HAVE one of these and want to loan it out? ;{)
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Erik
>
> --
> Erik Quackenbush, Engineering Manager, InfoChannel
> Scala Research & Development 1-610-363-3343
> mailto:erik.quackenbush@scala.com http://www.scala.com
-------------------
Erik I've done a number of ring and pinion and case swaps over the years
and yes every manufacturer has a special tool.

No you don't need it. I just put a new Detroit Locker in my Six dif and
didn't have any problems. Just transfer the shims as installed on the
stock diff behind the carrier bearings. ( make darn sure you mark these
with a punch as to left and right). Start the assembly into the case
with the bearing cups on a slight angle and tap in with a brass or soft
face hammer.

Assuming you assembled it properly it should go in with a little
friendly persuation. Check your back lash and tooth pattern with grease
and check it against the manual.

Glenn Franco

71 and 74 TR6's