Re: diff change tool?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: diff change tool?
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:59:50 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Glenn Franco wrote:

> Erik I've done a number of ring and pinion and case swaps over the years
> and yes every manufacturer has a special tool.
>
> No you don't need it. I just put a new Detroit Locker in my Six dif and
> didn't have any problems. Just transfer the shims as installed on the
> stock diff behind the carrier bearings. ( make darn sure you mark these
> with a punch as to left and right). Start the assembly into the case
> with the bearing cups on a slight angle and tap in with a brass or soft
> face hammer.

Another old trick is to use a really big vice, or pipe clamps, or what
ever else you can rig up to compress the case.  The official tool
stretches the sides of the case outward to allow the bearings to slip into
place. Compressing the case top to bottom has the same effect.  It doesn't
take much, so easy does it!

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.