Merlin suffing -(was Datona Exhaust)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Merlin suffing -(was Datona Exhaust)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 07:01:03 -0700
> 1970 Spitfire (under the knife)
What kind of tranny do you think he'll use? And who said Spitfires are
little cars.  Shoot with that motor it would have to 20 feet long just
to hold the motor, tranny and rear end.;-)
***********************
WARNING. . . the following is a test of the list humor broadcast system
(LHBS), this is only a test. (insert annoying tone of your choice if sound
card so permits)  If this had been a real thread you would have been
instructed to tune in to your local. . . . .:-}

Well actually I was considering a Corvair transaxle, you know eliminate the
driveshaft. But I haven't ruled out a a *slightly* strengthened Fiesta
Transaxle.  Then I could mount it sideways eliminating the need for
lengthening the car and the alternator will bolt right in!!! (but may
require a 'small' hood bulge to clear :-})   And of course I'll have to
take that pesky magneto off and replace it with a good Crane or Piranha
electronic ignition, but hey, I don't anticipate any mod's to the frame!
Anybody have any experience putting a couple of downdraft Weber 32/36 on
one o'these? :-)  By the way, mounting a Prat & Whitney radial,
horizontally and driving the wheels through a belt twisted 90 deg might
just work. . .although that double Wasp might be a little tall. . .

This concludes this test of the list humor broadcast system (LHBS) , this
was only a test -

Sorry for that, I just couldn't resist,  I've had less than my usual 5
hours of sleep a night, and by the way I WAS really interested in those
Daytona exhaust systems.  Somehow this got sidetracked :-}

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )