front engine seal - tr6

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: front engine seal - tr6
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 19:03:01 -0600
Hi all,

This fall I plan to (among other things) attempt fixing a leak at the
front of my engine by replacing the front engine seal and timing cover
gasket.

The rear seal was done last fall during a clutch replacement - so far no
leaks from the back of the engine - although the gearbox and o/d still
leak :-(.

So I am polling the collective wisdom for some tips on the job ahead.
Namely, what else should I consider doing while I have the timing cover
off. The engine has 71k miles and burns no oil, generally runs pretty
strong in my view.

TRF lists a part called the front seal sleeve (#133235) which they say
helps prevent wear on the front seal. Should I be looking at replacing
the sleeve when I replace the seal or would this be overkill? Since the
sleeve is $20 and not likely to be available locally, should I order it
when I order the seal and gasket? Or are these sleeves generally in good
shape on engines which have not sustained too much abuse?

Any other work which might be good to do while poking around in
there...?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom and/or experience.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada