Squealing Generator

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: Squealing Generator
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 18 Aug 1997 15:55:15 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 064D033F8D2D308E-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 18 Aug 1997 15:55:15 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 18 Aug 1997 15:55:15 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <064D033F8D2D308E*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Greetings, Scions........

I noticed this weekend a squealing noise from under the bonnet of my Mk I
Spitfire and determined that my freshly rebuilt generator with less than
1,000 miles on it is getting noisy.  I checked the pulley and there is no
noticeable run out or free play, belt tension seems to be fine, but there
is definitely a continuous moderately loud squeal from the unit.  Is it
possible that it has a bad internal bearing?  Having simply shipped my old
unit as an exchange, I never bothered to open it up and I don't know if
there is a way to easily check the internal bearings.

I suppose I could simply pull down my Haynes, Bentley and Autopress manuals
tonight and review them, but heck, it's more fun banging out an e-mail to
y'all for some good old fashioned jawboning, isn't it?  Hey, if we're
lucky, maybe this will start a lengthy heated thread on the merits of white
grease versus axle grease for lubricating generator bearings, just like the
last thread on electric cooling fans (aw, c'mon now, lighten up, I'm just
kidding.)
TIA,

Ross D. Vincenti
Asst. General Counsel/Asst. Sec'ty.