Re: 1500 Gearbox -- From Jim Gambony

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 1500 Gearbox -- From Jim Gambony
From: "Andrew Murchison" <amurcha@kinderfeld.icenter.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:20:36 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <amurcha@mail.icenter.net>

other people wrote:
> > As the owner of several Spitfire 1500s and a '76 midget parts car
> > (bought
> > for the drive train to put in my Spit, they're the same!) I can safely
> > state
> > that the transmission used in the rubber bumper Midget (75 on) and the
> > Spitfire (post 74) are one and the same.
>
>   This goes against any reference materials that I have. They
> all say the Midget 1500 is the Morris unit.
>
>   It also spawns a problem, just what exactly is IN those
> 99 pound kits to convert a Midget 1500 to take a spitfire
> tranny?
>
>   The kit was reviewed by MG enthusiast and they went into
> depth about cutting, welding, and fabricating the members
> to make it all fit in the car.
>
>   I don't really see how it could be the same, although I have
> never compared them. Just going on readings.
>
> --
> Trevor Boicey

Trevor,
  I'm pretty sure that these kits allow the MG owners to shoehorn in
an overdirve transmission from the Spitty.  As I understand, the MG
got the Marina / Spitfire 4-speed transmission but never had the
overdrive option like the Triumphs did.  I'm pretty sure that
someone in the states also sells a kit to put the overdirve into a
4-speed TR-7. Which leads me to a side note...
   Does anyone know if the TR-7 4-speed transmission would fit into
the Spitfire?  Aparently the casing is the same and the spit and TR-7
share a number of different parts ranging from gaskets to casings.  I
was thinking of the closer ratios from the 7......

Andrew Murchison - Still in Winnipeg
'78 Spitfire - Still in Thunder Bay :(