FW: Re: 1500 Gearbox -- From Jim Gambony

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Re: 1500 Gearbox -- From Jim Gambony
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 15:36:12 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from ["Jim Gambony"
<gambony@hotmail.com>]]

     Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 13:23:57 PDT
     From: "Jim Gambony" <gambony@hotmail.com>
     Subject: Re: 1500 Gearbox -- From Jim Gambony

Trevor,

Are you sure that you're not looking at a kit to install a
Nissan(Datsun) 5 speed into the Midget?  That's the only conversion I've
seen, and typically it's for the 1275 Midget, not the 1500.

Starting in the 1975 model year, BL installed the Triumph 1500 motor and
the new single rail trans in the Midget, as the 1500 would readily pass
"smog" and the 1275 wouldn't.  There's been a lot of criticism of  the
1500 motor as being a weak motor, no power, etc.  I think most of that
originated from the Midget owners used to their 1275s and SU carbs and
the boxes and boxes of performance parts available for the old motor.
Especially since it's a Triumph motor.  Ick!

If there's a large market for fitting Spitfire trans' into 1500 Midgets,
I should jump in and start doing the conversion.  Let's see, maybe $1500
above the cost of the trans.  And I won't cut any sheet metal!

Jim

PS.  Get catalogs from one of the companies that covers both cars (Moss,
Special Interest) and spend an hour comparing part numbers, etc.  There
may have been a short time period between when MG started using the
1500/single rail combo and when Triumph started putting the new single
rail trans in the Spitfire.