Re: triumphs@autox.team.net digest #767 Wed Aug 20 10:28:04 MDT 1997

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: triumphs@autox.team.net digest #767 Wed Aug 20 10:28:04 MDT 1997
From: Barry Shefner <jacad@CAM.ORG>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 23:00:19 -0400
Cc: drew@pixar.com
> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:44:34 -0700
> From: drew@pixar.com
> Subject: TR3A steering idler arm and bracket
>
> I need to replace the streering idler arm and bracket on my
> TR3A (TS314??) but noticed in the Moss catalog that they show
> the open end of the brack on the bottom side and the idler arm
> being installed from the bottom. On my car and in the Standard
> Motors TR2 manual, the open end of the bracket is on the top
> and the arm being installed from above. I guess what I'm concerned
> about is what way the tapered hole for the silentbloc bushing
> goes on the Moss parts. Does anyone know if the bracked is mounted
> differently on later cars and/or if the arm/bracket combo from
> Moss will work on earlier cars?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Drew
>
> - --
> Drew Rogge
> drew@pixar.com

Drew,

   I looked under my car and noted the same curious arrangement. The
idler arm bracket is in fact mounted upside down to that indicated in
the picture. I check the Moss, Victoria British and the Triumph Spare
parts catalogue 4th edition (original spare parts cat) and they all
indicate it the same way. Could be an error of the original catalogue is
my guess as the part number has not changed.
To ease your anxiety, I changed the silentbloc bushings on my car with
those as supplied by Moss without any problem.
Maybe you should contact Standard Triumph and have them correct their
diagram:}

Barry Shefner
1959 TR3A OTS 57675
jacad@cam.org