Re: More about poorly running TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: More about poorly running TR6
From: dynamic@transport.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:14:00 -0700
Philip wrote:

>Don't be so quick to blame the mechanical advance, either. You can't
>remove it, >as you would then have no ignition advance and the car would
>barely run.

Actually, my desire to remove the mechanical advance was not a result of
this current problem... just wanted to verify that it was working properly
since I had NEVER paid any attention to it in the 11 years I've owned the
car, and since the engine rebuild I've always though it ought to be capable
of more power.  I just would like to get to it so I can clean and lube it
as a general maintenance procedure and make sure that it is working
properly.

>Pulling the distributor shaft out is easy: At the base of the distributor
>is a pin that secures the drive gear to the shaft; drive this out and the
>shaft comes out of the housing. You'll have to take the springs free, as
>well.

This is the tricky part, Philip... I cannot drive that coupling pin out!
It will not budge!!  I'm attacking it with a pin punch and hammer, but it
doesn't move.  I did this operation successfully on my 240Z, BTW, so I know
in general what to look for, and I'm sure I'm tapping on the correct pin...
there is no other that I can find.

Does anyone out there think there is a possibility that it could be a
failing fuel pump, or is fuel ruled out entirely?  I think of this only
because the problem cropped up twice immediately as a result of brisk
acceleration... (more fuel required)  Otherwise, it does seem to be
ignition.

Thanks, Philip, for your suggestions!!  I may need that installation
procedure for that ignition pick-up to verify its position.

Thanks again!

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6