engine numbers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: engine numbers
From: karim.marouf@cancom.com
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 9:04:34 -0800
I recently bought a '68 Mark I GT6 and am wondering how to tell if the motor
is original. It 's a series one motor with the old-style head, but the
serial number prefix is KD, and all the books I've looked at say it should
be KC. Is KD perhaps the prefix used on emissions-controlled Mark I engines?
Also, how close should the serial numbers be to the VIN numbers (should they
be not more apart by more than a few hundred?)

One more question. Were Vitesse six-cylinder coupes ever imported to the US?
I've seen convertibles and four-cylinder Heralds come up for sale before,
but never a Vitesse coupe.

Karim
'67 and '68 GT6