Re: Timing Chain Tensioner

To: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Subject: Re: Timing Chain Tensioner
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 07:19:29 -0400
Cc: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Alexander Joseph H wrote:

> The rattling noise I hear at the front of the my TR3A engine is likely a
> broken 'leaf" from the tensioner. However it occurs to me that I
> replaced this part when I did an engine swap a few years ago. It also
> occurs to me that the noise never really did go away. Now it is noisier
> than ever and I expect to pull the front end off of the TR3 this winter
> and get some relief. Besides it is embarrassing...especially after 8,000
> miles of touring this summer

Joe,

My approach to engine noises has always been start with the easy stuff
and rule out the obvious. Don't ask me why, please.

You might try removing the fan belt and running the engine for a brief
time without the accessories. Water pumps and generators have been known
to make some pretty strange sounds.

On the subject of timing chain tensioners, I found the timing chain
tensioner was completely broken when I purchased my TR3B, both leafs
were in the bottom of the timing cover.

When I turned the engine by hand, there was a very distinct click. I was
horrified when I first heard the noise, it was that loud.  My noise was
real easy to trace. Try turning your engine over with the hand crank, or
just pull it through with the fan. Can you hear it click?

When I used the fan to turn the crankshaft back and forth, I could tell
there was lots of slop in the timing chain, as the resistance offered by
turning the cam is quite noticeable. Being able to trace the source of
the click and feeling the slop in the timing chain made me confident my
problem was under the timing cover.

I removed the timing cover and the tensioner was toast. I replaced both
sprockets, the chain and tensioner. I also found lots of metal chips in
the oil pan that looked like the tensioner. Since the oil pan is MUCH
easier to tackle on TR3 that is fully assembled, dropping the pan might
be a reasonable first step to be confident of your diagnosis. I wouldn't
want to get into the timing cover on a TR3 with the apron and radiator
installed. It might be doable, but does not sound like fun.

Good luck.
--
 Henry Frye            E-mail - thefryes@iconn.net
 TR3B   TCF1927 L   http://www.iconn.net/thefryes/