Even MORE info on poorly running TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Even MORE info on poorly running TR6
From: dynamic@transport.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 16:48:51 -0700
OK, more clues coming up...  I introduced another variable into this
equation last night when I re-gapped the plugs to .035.  Today I relized
that at idle the #1 cylinder was not firing very often.  So, I pulled the
plugs and re-gapped them back to .025 for the time being, and this brought
#1 back into line.  I fiddled around with the position of the ignition
pick-up, and could not produce a change in the performance.  I have
noticed, also, that the car pops back now through the exhaust on the
overrun a lot.  In fact, when you blip the throttle, it pops back JUST AS
THE RPMs BEGIN TO DROP again.  I hope this gives some clues.  Tom Tweed
suggested I try a fuel drier, maybe I'll dump some in.  (Thanks, Tom!!)
However I'm not real confident in that as a possibility in this case.  How
might I diagnose this problem using a dwell meter?  (Considering it is
electronic ignition)  The problem would not be detectable sitting in the
driveway, even when revving it in the driveway, except for the
popping-back.  You have to drive it to really get it to act up.

Any more suggestions?

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6