Body crooked on frame. Rear springs?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Body crooked on frame. Rear springs?
From: TR66pack@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 08:21:10 -0400 (EDT)
Subj:   Re: Crooked Body on Frame. Rear Springs?
Date:   97-08-22 08:18:13 EDT
From:   TR6 6pack

Hi Lister's.

I wrote:

<< Finally got the 165's off the TR6 yesterday and the new (used) Redlines
put
 > on in there place. Now I've got a question
 >
 > With these larger (than what was on the car) tires, it is obvious the body
is
 > not square on the frame, as my drivers side tire sticks out a lot more
than
 > the passenger side tire. I know of others whose cars are like this and was
 > wondering if the body mounting bolts can be loosened and the body
re-aligned
 > on the frame. What kind of can of worms would this open? Just looking for
 > thoughts on this as the car is excellant as it is but it is my personal
 > policy to keep making it better while continuing to drive and enjoy it.

And Irv wrote:

"Which tires are you referring to, front or rears? If it is the rear, it
 can be as simple as a weak spring, or worn trailing arm bush (assuming
 you are talking about camber here, not sure what you mean by "sticks
 out"). The driver's side typically sags more as these cars are driven
 without passengers so often. Good luck."

The tires I refer to are the rear tires. The driver's side extends farther
beyond the outside flare of the fender than the rear does. Also, the driver's
side sits taller than the passenger side. After a closer study yesterday, my
camber seems diferent on each side with the passenger side being pretty much
vertical and the top of the drivers side tire maybe SLIGHTLY more outboard
than the bottom. This car does not have the typical camber problems many
TR6's suffer from.

It may be the lack of camber that is causing my problem. Rear spring wise,
what are you all fitting to maintain stock ride height? Everyone sells
competition springs that jack the rear end up and gice it the monster truck
look. My car came with these (no additional spring spacers, I checked). I
don't mind the stiffer ride but i hate the way it jacks the rear of the car
up. Anyone?

Thanks,

Kerry