RAttling in front of engine

To: AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com
Subject: RAttling in front of engine
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 07:52:18 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>The rattling noise I hear at the front of the my TR3A engine is likely a
broken 'leaf" from the tensioner. However it occurs to me that I
replaced this part when I did an engine swap a few years ago. It also
occurs to me that the noise never really did go away. Now it is noisier
than ever and I expect to pull the front end off of the TR3 this winter
and get some relief. Besides it is embarrassing...especially after 8,000
miles of touring this summer

>Before I do this, is there something I am missing. Could it be something
else?...although I have investigated other moving parts. Could I have
installed it wrong?... even tho there is really one way to put it in.

Alexander,

When I first bought my car it quickly developed a rattle (or maybe I missed
it in my purchase lust) in the front of the engine, diagnosed, by several
local mechanics (by ear only) as front bearing or timing chain rattle.
Nobody was sure.

As it turned out, it was a water pump pulley which was being worn egg
shaped.  The taper which mates up to the pump was worn oblong.  Every time
the engine rotated the pulley rocked and rattled. Of course the rattle
disapeared when you went off idle, so it sounded like bearings, which I
needed anyhow, but that is another story.

Loosen your fan belt tension and try rocking your pump pulley in all sorts
of directions.  Obviously there should be no movement at all.  I hope this
is your problem.  It's an easy fix, just make sure you get the right pulley,
original (AE), or asian knockoff; the pumps and pulleys are slightly
different and incompatable for the long term.

Jack