Piggotts response to unusual VIN

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Piggotts response to unusual VIN
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 09:26:16 -0400 (EDT)
I made an inquiry to Bill Piggott through the Triumph Register regarding the
TRIUMPH STC - 62 plate found on TS71101L.  The following response came
through Rosy Good the TR Register's secretary.

<< Your car TS 71101 was definately built in 1960 - it must have been
 unregistered for some reason for over a year - sales were very slow by the
 end of 1960, so probably it was unsold in a dealer's lot somewhere?

 STC prefixes: I am told the following by various Californians -
 a) they started being allocated in 1960
 b) they applied only to Californian cars
 c) STC stands for Standard Triumph California
 d) not all post 1960 Californian sold TR3A's had them!

 I suggest you try, if you haven't already, to contact the original selling
 dealer or first owner, but other than that I'm afraid I can't assist.

 If you do come up with definite information on STC TR3A's let me know.

 Bill Piggott, (via Rosy Good!)

I am still wondering who actually issued the number and affixed the plate, or
who required it be done.  Another lister reported that he believed  STC meant
Supplemental Title Certificate, which would imply, to me at least, that the
number was issued by the State of California. If this is the case  STC plates
should have been issued to all unsold vehicles, irrespective of marque.
  Piggotts response appears to indicate that the number may have been issued
by Standard Triumph ??    Additional possiblity that the number was issued ,
required by the State, STC does stand for Standard  Triumph of California,
and each marque has a unique prefix indicating the manufacturer, e.g. MG-62
etc. ?????  Has anyone ever seen or heard of a supplemental plate appearing
on any other manufacturer's cars ,  British or not ???
Still no clue as to why this particular vehicle went unsold for so long.

Bob Paul
Corrales NM
TS7280L
TS45738L O