Re: TR6 upper wishbone question

To: Sandy Levine <slevine@toucan.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 upper wishbone question
From: Robert J Carley <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 17:53:49 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Sandy Levine wrote:

> the old story . . .  who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes!
>
> I am just finishing up on the rebuild of my front suspension and everything
> went along well until I was looking through the softcover book "Practical
> Classics & Car Restorer" Triumph TR6 Restoration. On page 78 they have two
> pictures (#9 and #10)  showing the upper fulcrum pin and making special
> note that
>         ". . . .should be fitted so that its middle section (which is
> curved) curves towards the engine. It is possible to fit it the opposite
> way, so take care."
>
> For those of you who do not have the book they suggest that the cross piece
> (upper fulcrum pin) is closer to the engine. On my car the cross piece is
> just about touching the shock housing turret. From appearances, my set up
> looks incorrect. However, as I am the original owner and the car has only
> been serviced by a triumph dealer or myself, I would guess my set up is
> correct. I do not believe that the upper wishbone has ever been taken apart
> before. Just to make sure, I have access to two parts cars and both are the
> same as mine.
>
> So do I believe what I see on my 3 examples or take the word of Practical
> Classics.  Which way is correct?    Help?????

> Sandy Levine                              813-962-0100 (v)
> slevine@toucan.com                        813-962-2330 (f)

Sandy:  A while ago I was faced with the same question re: which way does
the upper fulcrum face?  I asked the list and received a number of
replies, with about an almost even spread between the curve facing in and
the curve facing out.  I have looked at some TR6s, and have seen a degree
of variation.  I imagine some cars have the fulcrum in a different
position to correct excess or not enough camber, depending on the way the
other front suspension components affected the camber.

I went so far as to email a number of TR suppliers, and even received
conflicting advice from them.  I doubt that you will find a definitive
answer to this one.

My solution was to re-assemble the front suspension both ways (yes, it's
time consuming) and take a rough measurement of the camber differences.
Even then, I had to reverse the fulcrum pins once I had the car back
together to give more positive camber and wheel clearance.

I'll check my saved email messages and try to send you more information on
this.

Robert Carley
73 TR6
Ontario, Canada