Re: TR4 Seat frames

To: mbjoslyn@prairienet.org, TRAHMG@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Seat frames
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 18:11:03 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-08-26 15:12:05 EDT, mbjoslyn@prairienet.org writes:

> The list can correct me if I'm wrong,but most 64 TR4' came with TR3 seats.
>  I've owned 2 64's and both came with the old style seats. I believe that
>  the 4A in 65 had the new square seats but I'm no expert and I'm sure
>  someone will advise us if I'm wrong.
>                                               Mark

Mark, sorry but that is not correct.  Here is the poop. This is the answer
(edited to address your comment) which I sent to TRAMG.

Based on your commission #, you should have the same seats as I.  Upon
further research - it appears that the TR4 seat FRAMES were of two types.
 The earlier seats (up to CT15076) had the same seat frame as the TR3A\B.
 Then there was a change - the seat frames were squarer and instead of
rotating just the backs forward, the whole seat tilted- but this was just on
the driver's side.  At CT20925, both seats tilted forward.  I am pretty sure
that the seat frames remained the same after CT15076 and through the TR4A's.
 (i.e. squarer and full tilting )
BUT - the coverings changed - see the Victoria British catalogue for a
picture of the coverings.  Yours would be the "TR4 1963-65" type.
The frames are out there, I'm sure.  Let's just keep working this and I'm
sure your problem can be solved.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)
Vintage Triumph Register TR4 vehicle consultant

Mark, CT 15076 (above) was built in 1962 and CT 20925 was built in '63.  My
car CT33118L was built on 14 May '64 and had the squarer frame, full tilt and
the 2nd covering.  The TR4A's looked different but I think that had to do
with the padding and the covers, in other words the frames were the same.  If
you have Piggott's book you can see a good picture of my seats on P. 83
 Cheers.

Art Kelly