Re: TR4 Seat frames

To: "'tuu@cosmail3.ctd.ornl.gov'" <tuu@cosmail3.ctd.ornl.gov>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Seat frames
From: Tom Leake <tomleake@enol.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 13:32:30 -0600
>frames.
>>>
>>>The list can correct me if I'm wrong,but most 64 TR4' came with TR3 seats.
>>>I've owned 2 64's and both came with the old style seats. I believe that
>>>the 4A in 65 had the new square seats but I'm no expert and I'm sure
>>>someone will advise us if I'm wrong.
>>>                                             Mark

This is probably more of an issue of production date vs. registration date.
From what I remember all TR4's produced in 64 should have the sqaure seats.
(these may be registered as 64's to 65's, perhaps even later).  The changeover
may even be earlier.  I don't have any references here.

>While we're on this subject, I would like to ask some seat questions:
>Do the later TR4 and 4A have the same frame?  I know they both use the same
>Rubber Diaphragm.

Yes.  I happen to have pairs of both seats in my garage at the moment (both in
original materials, and quite looking like it).  The seat frames seem to be
nearly identical.  The dimensions of these seats are practically identical.  I
asked about this when I was trying to locate seat frames for my car.  I believe
that the TRF stated that  TR4 (sqaure) , TR4A used the same frame and only the
pad and upholstery changed.  The back upholstery appears to be the same.  I
have not stripped them down to bare frames yet, so I cannot verify absolutely.

That brings up another point  I have 2 sets of frames and 1 car Anybody looking
for a set of TR4 (square) frames?

> My '62 (CT16063) has this rubber diaghragm on the seat
>bottom.  I don't beleive the early TR4 seats had these rubber diaghragm.
>Since I'm not the original owner, it's possible the DPO replaced the seats
>prior to me buying the car in '80.

Tim you really don't want to keep driving that car with improper seats.  :-)
You must take them out immediately and  send them to me :-)