Club Insurance Premiums...

To: guyotleonf@aol.com, iani@mail.tcp.co.uk, DougB@3dlabs.com
Subject: Club Insurance Premiums...
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 10:17:51 +0200
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ian, Leon, Doug, Friends
I think You're all being taken for a ride... Someone is profiting
heavily on Your premiums. You are talking Insurance Fee per annum
in the GBP 150-GBP 450 range. (That's around USD 240-USD 725 for
our friends across the Atlantic.) Including the Insurance schemes
administred via the Clubs to their members, I take it?

In the Triumph Club of Sweden we've got several insurance schemes
going for our members through the Club, as firm belivers in competi-
tion and market economy philosophies...
[And of course my personal comment; In a truly federalistic Europe
You would also be in the position to benefit from our Insurance
Schemes! ;-)  Could be an input in Your British Half in/Half out
wiev on the EU, and the Monetary Union...]

The one scheme I am responsible for, offers Unlimited mileage etc. at
an annual premium of SEK 278-SEK 418 (That's GBP 22-33 / USD 35-53.)
depending on the age of the car. [Up to and including 1950: SEK 278,
1951-1964: SEK 358, 1965-1977: SEK 418. For the very few Triumphs in
Sweden manufactured after 1977 I could get a fee quoted at SEK 1182,
but they are so few it haven't happened so far...]

This insurance scheme is a programme launched in the early seventies
by the Federation of Swedish Vehicle Clubs (with some 65000 members
in 123 different Clubs).
The philosophy was simple enough; Why let a "for profit" -organisation
take a (BIG?) bite in the premiums we, the owners, pay for protection
in the occurence of an accident? The philosophy has worked great, AND
enabled a healthy competition among the ordinary insurance companies
also. So they are now offering insurance for classic cars in the same
region...

So my conclusion is; Don't let the Insurance Companies handle Your
Classic Car insurance/Classic Car Insurance Schemes. Do it Yourselves
on a non profit scheme! It sure pays to do so. And it's healthy for
the competition in this rather small market segment.

Yours
/Odd

--
Odd Hedberg