Re: TR-4 Tub Replacement Dilema

To: daverne@dlcwest.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR-4 Tub Replacement Dilema
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 07:04:34 -0400
Dave,

Q1)  Is there such a thing as rust free TR-4 tub (I don't need hood, fenders,
or doors) or is this just wishful thinking on my part.  How difficult to
find would this be?

A1) They are out there, but unfortunately rare.  I picked one up in 1985
(gee, how time passes when you don't watch it), and have seen others since.
Good luck, I would think it might be easier to find a restorable TR4 with a
decent tub.  Any TR4 tub will work, but there will be some differences with
later tubs, such as slightly different front inner fenders (detail change -
not noticable), different door stop strap configuration, and not having the
bracket to hold the trunk (boot) prop rod.

Q2)  My car is an early TR-4, CT283LO.  If I replace the entire body tub will
CT283LO still be CT283LO or would the commission number technically become
that of the replacement tub?

A1) At least in my state (Ohio) it is illegal to remove car commision numbers,
so legally speaking it would become that of the replacement tub.  However, and
I can't tell you to do this, I've seen people swap numbers during restorations
and the state doesn't seem to care, or check, spending most of their car fraud
money busting chop shops.  How guilty is your conscience?

Bruce Clough
'62 TR4
'81 TR7
'60 Buick LeSabre, out of drydock and lumbering down a street near you...