Clutch pin fix

To: wh6ef@pixi.com
Subject: Clutch pin fix
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 08:14:50 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jim,

Basically, what I and others have done, is to add a second source of
reinforcement to supplement the taper pin.  A good method is to add a 5/16
or other reasonable sized grade 8, fine thread, machine bolt (fully threaded
shaft), 90 degrees offset from the taper pin, on the other side of the
clutch fork.  I used only a hand drill, a single tap and die, etc., nothing
fancy.

What I did was to disassemble the entire clutch actuation assembly, clean
and replace fork pins, bushings etc, as required.  With the shaft/fork
assembly out of the bellhousing, I installed the fork on the shaft with the
taper pin fitting snugly, like a spark plug.  MAKE SURE THE FORK FACES THE
RIGHT WAY.  On the opposite side of the clutch fork, at 90 degrees to the
taper pin, drill through both the fork and shaft.  Remove the taper pin and
fork from the shaft.  Deburr and tap the shaft.  Enlarge and deburr the
holes (both sides) in the fork, to clear the Grade 8 bolt threads.  I also
suggest drilling through the head of the bolt, flat to flat, for a safety
wire.  If you take your time and use a sharp drill and lots of lube you can
easily make this hole, although I consider it the most difficult part of the
whole installation.  I used a washer and a nyloc nut on the threaded end of
the bolt, although it really is somewhat redundant, as the shaft is threaded
and the bolt is safety wired.

Important points:

Make sure everything moves throughout it's full range of motion during final
reassembly.  If the bolt is too long and hits the case, mine was, you may
have to flip it, end for end.

Tighten the bolt firmly.  The bolt operates on friction between the fork and
shaft, to keep the fork from moving on the shaft.  This is why I added the
nyloc nut.  It provides the tight hold down on the other side of the fork
too.

That's about it.  Look over your parts and visualize what I am talking
about.  Basically all I did is add a (strong) redundant system to strengthen
the connection.

BTW - on any future correspondence, mail me directly and cc the list.  I am
on the digest so I didin't get you message right away and I don't always get
the opportunity to read the digests for a few days.

Jack