Spit 6! -Reply

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu
Subject: Spit 6! -Reply
From: Martin Wilson <martinw@fmc.gov>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 13:21:33 -0400

>>> "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu> 08/28/97
11:40am >>>
Anyone out there ever build a Spit 6? Any advice for this poor fool?

I saw one years ago at a show. Now I have a nice TR4A and I just
wanna leave it stock.... I have this hankering for a 6, but not
necessairly a TR6...

I have a perfecly straight '79 Spit frame and a good tub, and enough
trim parts to make it look like a MKIV...chrome bumpers, ect... I
also have a tan top and Interior...

I'd like some imput on:

Cooling systems. Since the GT6 was kinda marginal in this area, are
there any suggestions for an after market or UJC replacement? BTW
I'll probably go with a 2.5 liter...(NSFCC)

Induction: Weber DCOE's are a bit pricy for this project... anyone
ever use HS6's or HS8's? Last Spit 6 I saw had Weber downdrafts...can
anyone tell me what fits?

GT6 folks - are you happy with your brakes?

Has anyone ever adapted the GT6+ rear wishbones to a Spit frame?
Would it be worth it? -- Especially if your starting with a "Swing
Spring"....

Christopher M.Lillja
Marketing Associate
Princeton University Press
Tel:609 258 4900
Fax:609 258 6305

I  had a 67 spit and dropped a 69 gt6+ drive train into it.  It was very
simple.  The two extra cylinders required the 6 hood swap,  the radiator
had to be moved forward 4-5 inches (spit radiator) I used the spit outer
axles but used the 6 pumpkin due to larger stub axles.  also where the
trans mounted I had to move the trans frame mount to the rear holes.
Basically thats about it,  I had no prior mechanical experience then
(72-73),  so its a fun project.

good luck!!

marty wilson
78 spit