FW: Re: floor panel...

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Re: floor panel...
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 14:10:48 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match "/base64/i" at
line 67]

     Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 09:45:09 -0700
     Subject: Re: floor panel...

I have just started this process last night on my 1970 TR6.  I ordered two
new floor panels from TRF, which originally came from a BMHT supplier in
the UK.  Here's the approach I'm taking.  Using a cutting torch to remove
most of the board.  I've left about a 2 inch edge where it connect to the
body.  I will then drill out the spot welds that attached the boards to the
body shell.  This will give me a clean surface to work with when welding
(yes, you will have to do that) the new panels in.  When welding the new
panels to the body, I will just weld at the drill holes and fill.  Later on
I'll apply a grinder to smooth out the welds.  This should give the joint a
smooth look, close to the orignal.

Before I began any of these repairs, I welded a steel tube to the upper A
and B post in the door frame.  You must do this to maintain body shell
integrity.  You don't want it to shift when repair are being made.  I
performed this step before removing the shell from the frame.

I just finished replacing the spare tire pan this way and it turned out
great.  If you have any questions, please contact me.  I would be glad to
provide any help that I can.

Dave,
San Diego,
1970 RHD PI TR6, CP51649