Re: floor panel...

To: pbitton@axess.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: floor panel...
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 14:09:53 -0700
Patrick wrote:

  You mentioned something about welding a tube to the upper a and b
post of the door frame. What is that exactly? Where are the A and B posts.
I'm in the process of a ground up restoration this is why I am asking. If
you can give me tips and trick like that. It would be great.

I took a length of 1/2 inch steel square tubing and welded it to the
uppermost position on the inside - just below the dash - of the body shell
next to the front door jam (the 'A' post).  The other end was welded to the
uppermost position on the inside - actually on top of the place where the
soft top frame bolts to the shell - part of the rear door jam (the 'B'
post).   The tube runs parallel with the rocker panels.  The 'A' post is
the technical reference to the vertical metal beam or post that the door
hinges bolt to.  The 'B' post is the verical beam that the door latch
attaches to.  My doors were off before I did this.

I'll be more than happy to relate all my horror stories ;-)  Actually, I'm
very pleased with the progress so far in replacing rusted out body panels.
I had to do the spare tire pan.  Both passenger floor boards and part to
the bulkhead (firewall) beneath the battery need replacing.  All the new
metal, except the battery area, were purchased from TRF.

After the body was removed, I placed it upon 4 saw horses.  Two at the
point were the body shell bolt to the frame ( the 3 and 4 bolt hole areas),
1 at the front and the other at the rear, beneath the frame mounting
brackets.  This has provided a solid base with easy access to all parts of
the shell.

Keep the questions, coming.

Dave,
San Diego