Re: Spitfire rear suspension compensator

To: jharris@wimsey.com (John Harris)
Subject: Re: Spitfire rear suspension compensator
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 07:33:02 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>have you heard of any experience using the swing spring with the GT6
>rotoflex (lower wishbone) suspension? I have often wondered whether that
>particular setup might have advantages.
******************************
John,
Yes I have it installed on the Spitfire, which was modified with the GT6
rotoflex setup.  The system works well, but you have to modify the outer
most spring leave clamps by removing the bolt and steel bushing.  Then
carefully bend the clamp over the spring to retain the leaves.  If you
don't the clamps will hit the rotoflex joints on bounce (yes it's that
close to the spring).  I have since modified the axle flanges at the hubs
and the differential to accept TR6 sliding axles (not an easy job).  The
rotoflex joints couldn't handle the torque of the V6, and was chewing them
up about every three months or so, and they're a REAL pain to replace.

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )