Crankshaft scoring

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Crankshaft scoring
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 97 11:14:29 -0400
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     For all the bottom-end rebuilders on the list:

     I have just taken apart the engine on my wife's Sprint (sorry, it's
     not a Triumph, but it's a generic question, and maybe I'll need to
     know for the TR3), and the big-end bearings need to be replaced.

     My question is: what can I expect if I put it all back together
     without turning the crank? There's some "slight" scoring on it, but
     the car has 140,000 kms, and the engine's still in the vehicle. Will
     the new bearings just conform to the crank? I really don't want to
     take the crank out if I don't have to, to the point that I'd be
     willing to put new big-end bearings in again sooner, if it isn't too
     much sooner.

     Surely some amout of wear is OK? Please?

     TIA,
     Jim Wallace
     jwallace@canada.hp.com