Investigating a noise

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Investigating a noise
From: "Keith M. Taylor" <taylor@cv.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:04:46 -0700
Digest-lurker here asking for help...

My wife noticed a noise in our 75 TR6 the other day. It happens
when we take off from a standing start. Just as I finish letting
out on the clutch the sound occurs. It sounds like I've driven
over a cereal box or crumpled a piece of paper. The sound happens
once and is gone--not tied to the rotation of the wheels. I also
don't hear it when I shift into second, but that may be because
it isn't very loud.

I don't know how long the sound has been there. I like the way the
engine sounds and tend to rev it higher* when I drive which masks this
other sound. ;-)

I've looked underneath for any debris that I may have snagged, but
that came up negative. Any experience or suggestions are
appreciated.

Thanks,
-Keith
1975 TR6 CF37016UO

* There was an old Charlie Brown cartoon where Charlie and Linus
were talking about their Dads. Charlie related that his Dad noticed
the engine making a funny noise when they were driving. His fix
was to turn up the volume on the radio!

--
Keith M. Taylor                         Email: taylor@cv.hp.com
Hewlett-Packard TCC-CVL MS 524A         Phone: (541) 715-3015