Re: Engine conversions

To: "Roger Swafford" <gizmo@wcic.org>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Engine conversions
From: Brian Harper <brian@ati.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 09:11:07 -0800
At 12:59 AM 12/6/97 -0500, Roger Swafford wrote:
....I would like to do an engine and trans conversion.

>Any suggestions? I'm considering a 2.8L Chevy V6 with a 5 speed from an S10
>or Blazer.
>
>Am I nuts....yeah probably, but I really like the style of the little tub.

That engine is heavy. Cast iron block and heads alone probably weigh as
much as the whole Spit engine. Look for something that has an aluminum
block. I'd bet the Rover/Buick V8 weighs much less than the Chevy V6 and
there's lots of performance bits for it if you find it lethargic. You can
even claim Britsh heritage/origin with this motor. Even an aluminum blocked
4 would probably give a HP boost with a weight savings to match that would
make the Spit livelier.

Brian Harper