Re: SU

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Subject: Re: SU
From: Richard Jackson <RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 14:55:32 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: bunce@alma.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> I rebuilt my SU HS4's on my car, and had no major problems, one thing
> someone
> once told me is don't clean the carbon from your butterflys (he owned a
> 2.5PI
> with 6 of them).  Apperntly he did this and could not get them balanced
> untill
> they sooted up again.  The carbon forms a good seal and makes setting
> the idle
> easy.  Twin carbs are easy if you do one, before doing the other, so you
> have
> a refrence to put them back together with.  I you make note of the
> diferent
> numbers on all the diferent parts floats ect.  my car had two diferent
> HS4's
> and hence is not easy too balance.  You probebly find the number to be
> difernt
> by one.  You can get kit's to rebuild them, with diferent levels of
> rebuild in
> mind, ranging from just a jet, to jet, float, butterfly, ect.  Go for
> the SU's
> there more fun, easy, and thereticly present less resistance to are,
> thus you
> should get better proformace.
>

> --
> James Carpenter
> Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot

There is a bloke that attends alot of the shows who reconditions SU's and
sells them real cheap, if I remember correctly a Dutch friend bought a
pair of HS4's for £100 quid(approx $150) at the Spitfire Weekend in
Holland this year.  that didn't include the manifold but I don't think he
charges too much for the whole lot.  The carbs I have seen of his are very
smart, all the bits are aqua blasted and any bare steel is plated(nickel I
think).

I haven't got his name or number with me, but I have it at home if anyones
interested.

Rich